Doll Shows

Today, I went to the local doll show for the second time. Both years, I feel like I've got awesome deals for less than $30, plus enjoyed a museum-like experience of the wide variety of dolls others collect.

Tacoma/Puyallup doll show isn't huge, but large enough to spend about two hours looking at everything. (There's another row to the left)


When I attended in 2015, there were many UNUSUAL dolls:

??
stylin' hair

Poor Pitiful Pearl

A ventriloquist doll

Reborn doll

I love this redhead doll's wistful expression

Little Miss No-Name doll

teeny musical instruments!

assemble your own doll?
I didn't have much cash for the first show, and was pretty thrilled to make it in with $20 ($8 admission fee) and still get three dolls. I'd been looking for Rosie online- this show had two! Plus Business Pocahantus and a Liv doll were in a grab bin.


In 2017, there were less zany dolls, but still many good classics.

Classic Barbie and friends

Hundreds of Simon & Halbig dolls


This china doll interests me. She's not exactly warm and cuddly or highly detailed. I wonder what a young child from her time period thought of her. Somehow, being both simple and dramatic gives her a presence.  

amazing facial expressions - Himstedt dolls
Dolls I wish I collected:

These large Himstedt dolls (at least 2 feet tall, $300 and up) have gorgeous expressive faces. A women is working on selling her mother's entire collection. 

 

 This little wood doll is so cute and sassy, from her flapper outfit to her side-glancing eyes.


And of course, I'd love to collect American Girl dolls! I'm shy wandering around these booths by myself, but I was lucky to have a nice conversation with the woman who customized this doll. (It was not for sale, but she caught me rubbernecking for a view of her dolls on her walker.) She gave the doll a short wig, freckles, and darker lipstick. She's planning on fixing an old Molly doll next, who is in need of re-stringing and new hair. (She's going to become a redhead!)


If only... $80 for an Madam Lavinia (articulated curvy body). Beautiful.


I though the most unique doll at this show was this big-headed girl with a Strawberry Shortcake-like face. (Or is she more like Betty Boop?)


There are always a lot of dresses for sale with Very Large Prints. Intense. If you'd like to make and sell your own dresses, can I recommend this tasteful guide from Nethilia? Avoiding the Generidress.


There was a variety of black dolls.  This small set was attractive, but I can't tell if designs like this try to idealize plantation days. (I often see a lot of mistrel style dolls in antique stores, so certainly it could be worse.)

Black baby doll
I didn't buy any dolls this year, but found a few deals on vintage clothes, plus a homemade set of patterns for Monster High ghouls from Kristine Anns. She also threw in her "Sewing for Tiny Dolls" booklet for free when I told her I haven't done it before! She was so nice- ended my day on a nice note.
My purchases
When I came home, I was hoping to fit the black vintage dress on a curvy doll. It barely fits- and you'd better go over the head rather than up the hips! I'm happy with my purchases.

Blondie feeling classy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Ken Bodies Comparison

Mimi Bobeck Review + Fat Dolls

Dollar Store Knock-Offs: Pippa and Alice Review