Why I Don't Slut-Shame My Dolls

Slut-Shaming: the act of criticising a woman for her real or presumed sexual activity, or for behaving in ways that someone thinks are associated with her real or presumed sexual activity.

People... often criticize women's appearance for being too sexual (according to their standards of acceptable sexuality), in order to control women. They also often blame women for being victims/survivors of rape, by using similar appearance-based criticisms.

reference: Geek Feminism Wiki

Mattel thinks women only buy one length of skirt
Barbie often wears short skirts.

Similar to my views on skinny-shaming, I admit this isn't an ideal situation. However, it has been  overly criticized in a way that seems more likely to give kids a bad perspective rather than a good one. Barbie is "literally objectified," Monster High dolls get compared to prostitutes, and even Ever After High dolls have been called "tarted up princesses." Is this the kind of language and perspective we want to teach young people to view themselves and others?

I'll judge you, you judge me, we're a judgy family
I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with short skirts.  It doesn't mean anything- it's not an invitation or a statement. It's just clothes.

I acknowledge that there are problematic aspect to short skirts. It's not a practical clothing choice for Police Barbie or Dentist Barbie.

Additionally, I am a little sad when I'm trying to photograph a doll, and her outfit is revealing more than I want, or she can't find a comfortable way to sit. (I noticed that even the animators of the Monster High cartoons struggle to deal with this problem. In this scene, Frankie's skirt magically grew longer when she sat down.)

Skirts get shorter when you sit, not longer.
I know that I always suggest the same solution- but I'd like to see a wide variety of skirt lengths, and pants, and shorts, and job/business attire, etc. The problem isn't that short skirts exist, but their ubiquity. 

Clawdia knows how to mix fashion and business
Doll clothes can be the best part of the doll. They suggest personality, occupation, and storyline.

Conservative and businesslike? Dreamy and loves to dance?
So, slut-shaming doesn't teach young children good life skills, but one-note outfits and sexualized work attire isn't the answer either.

Think of the children!
It has been helpful to look to non-Mattel doll lines for better clothing variety. Kazumi wears a cute, girly outfit that covers her from wrist to ankle. And Goddess is wearing a pair of Liv pants and Ken's T-shirt for a cool casual look.


Casual, realistic clothes is a place where Lammily is excelling. I just got my new Lammily doll, whom I've named Paget. She and Margot modeled their new duds. (by the way, I love Lammily, but I don't appreciate the company's desire to body-shame other dolls.) 

Dolls in clothes like I'd actually wear
It takes effort to make a doll collection that is diverse, creative, and can teach valuable lessons. Mattel and other companies have made some efforts, but they don't make it easy on you. However, rejecting fashion dolls entirely and spreading slut-shaming misses a great opportunity for all the creativity and joy dolls can bring.

SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Ken Bodies Comparison

Mimi Bobeck Review + Fat Dolls

Dollar Store Knock-Offs: Pippa and Alice Review